Monday, January 8, 2024

Our Mission

 

  Mk 1:7-11

And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

The Baptism and Testing of Jesus

At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

We read this Gospel on Saturday but since this is the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, of course this has to be the Gospel Reading today. Though sinless, Jesus presents himself to the Baptist to receive his baptism, an act of humility, for our sake, paving the way for our own baptism. He receives confirmation from above, "You are my Son, whom I love, with you I am well pleased." Then Jesus goes off to the desert for 40 days and returns to begin his mission, the reason he was born, to secure our salvation.  As we reflect on this perhaps while putting away our Christmas decorations, we might consider our own mission.  Was it strengthened, or clarified during this Christmas Season? Is there some way I can join John and Jesus in helping others redirect their lives to God's loving arms and plan for them?  Or am I simply being called to make prayer more of a priority in my life, and let God take it from there? Let us listen to the voice from heaven.

Bro. Rene

Dear God, as you did with Jesus, affirm and guide me to do what is best to serve you and my neighbor. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment