Monday, August 21, 2023

The Call To Be Perfect

 

Matthew 19:16-22

The Rich Young Man

16 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

How many of us stand in the shoes of this rich young man? We may not be wealthy but are looking for that "something more" to insure our eternal life. And when Jesus proposes that we sell all and come follow him, our noble desire fades into thin air because we have become dependent or overly attaches to our possessions, our will, or our own thoughts on how we can best live our lives.  The command to separate ourselves from our "worldly goods" or our current lifestyle, is too demanding and most of us either do or would find it too demanding, and would walk away with sad faces and heavy hearts.  It's very hard to 'let go" and turn everything over to God,  but truly that's where complete happiness and fulfillment lie...Witness St. Francis of Assisi! We are not St. Francis, but there are things, behaviors, attitudes that we can throw aside and walk side by side with Jesus much less encumbered, if we want to be "perfect."   What would I cast away now?  What would Jesus ask me to live without?  

Bro Rene

Dear God, detach me from whatever separates me from you and teach me to find my true joy in you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment