Thursday, January 5, 2023

Philip's and Nathanael's Call; Our Call


 John 1: 43-51

Jesus Calls Philip and Nathanael

43 The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.”

44 Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. 45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

46 “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked.

“Come and see,” said Philip.

47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.”

48 “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

49 Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.”

50 Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” 51 He then added, “Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on’ the Son of Man.”

"Follow me."  How compelling is this direct and simple call! Can it be that Jesus is calling me and because of my brain stuffed with "things to do" that I don't hear him?  It might seem more likely that Jesus is calling people younger than I to give a whole lifetime of service to him, but even "us elders" who know many things and have lived out our lifetimes (or so we think) might still have something more to give.  Let us not be fooled in thinking that we've done all we could; there is more and perhaps the best that we can still give.  Let none of us draw the line of "enough", but always be open to "more".

Bro. Rene


Loving God, the followers of Jesus were filled with zeal to lead others to Christ. Help us to grow in faith and love, so that all Christians might zealously proclaim the Gospel. Inspire our words and our actions so that others may see our love for you and long to know you. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

 Rev. Stephen Lacroix, C.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment