Friday, September 11, 2020

The Beam In My Eye

 Note:  Continued gratitude to those who are submitting suggestions for the printed volume of Bro Rene's Daily Bread.  Step by step we will get there. We still have a long way to go; I will have a clearer idea after this weekend.  God bless you. 

Luke 6: 39-42

39 He also told them this parable: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.

41 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

The training of a good disciple requires a good, hard look at oneself.  The old adage, "no one is perfect" is important here if we are to have a positive influence on others.  Yes, self-scrutiny is necessary, as well as an admission to and acceptance of what I see, are the first necessary steps. I cannot have any positive influence on others if I am not credible myself. Without becoming overly introspective or scrupulous, seeing the "beam in my eye" gives perspective to the speck in the eye of my neighbor and.gives me a sense of proportion so everything keeps its proper dimensions.  Be it a plank or a beam,  may we work on ourselves before pursuing the job of "overhauling others." (Thanks, Professor Henry Higgins!)

Bro. Rene

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment