Sunday, February 10, 2019

Who Is Worthy?

Today's readings feature three great religious leaders and teachers, Isaiah, Paul and Peter, all of whom declared their unworthiness.  "I am a man of unclean lips", laments Isaiah (Is 6:5); "I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God"  writes Paul, (1 Cor 15: 9), and Peter declares, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man." (Lk 5:8). Indeed each one of us could reiterate these or other reasons why we are not worthy of the immense, boundless blessings we have received from God. But the startling truth is that despite our weaknesses and unworthiness, he lavishes gift upon gift on us and calls us, uses us, to bring his truth, his love, himself to others.  Our weaknesses keep us humble, having to admit that all comes from God, and helps other people see, that it is not we who are speaking and working, but God himself through us. Each time we receive Holy Communion, we repeat the prayer of the Centurion, "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." In the shadow of these three men, this might become a prayer we repeat often during the day, for none of us is worthy, but God continues to overlook our unworthiness and spoil us to the hilt, so great is his love for us..
Bro .Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment