Monday, February 18, 2019

Asking for a Sign

After working innumerable miracles including the feeding of the 5,000,  no wonder Jesus said directly to the Pharisees, "Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation." (Mk 8:12), and left in frustration by boat to the other shore. What more SIGN did the Pharisees need?
We too have a bit of this desire for signs to reassure us, or in Gideon fashion, ( cf.Jdg. 6) to point us in the right direction to what God wants of us. But if we are looking for "proofs" to remove our doubts, we might hear Jesus say, "Just look backwards a day or two...or even further.  How did everything work out so well, if I were not there at your side?  Don't insult me with your mam-by-pamby faith, but take what's there in front of you as the sign you crave. Is not the miracle of my Presence in the Eucharist enough?  Instead of asking for a sign, pray for a deeper faith in what I have already done or said."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment