Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Building on Doubt

There are only a few verses in the Gospels that mention Thomas, but he will never be forgotten for his doubt and then his belief.  How much like him we are...witnesses of the marvels of grace throughout our lives, as he saw miracle after miracle for three years as he traveled with Jesus.  Yet he threw down the gauntlet of "Unless I put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe" (Jn 20:25)  We too are good at the bargaining table, throwing condition after condition into our prayer, with doubt underlying every one of them.  It was Jesus only who removed the doubt from Thomas, making him eat his own words...That was enough; Thomas, as far as we know, never doubted again, and went beyond Pentecost to bring the faith to India, dying there a martyr's death.  Where do I stand?  Am I a "Doubting Thomas" or a Believing Evangelizer"? St. Thomas, help me to grow stronger in my faith as I allow Jesus to wipe away my doubts
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment