Sunday, September 3, 2017

Carrying Our Cross

The Psalmist writes:  "O God, your are my God whom I seek;/   for you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts/ like the earth, parched, lifeless and without water." (Ps 63:1). What a wonderful description of our deep, passionate longing for intimacy with God. St. Paul urges us to be "transformed by the renewal of our mind" and to offer up our bodies as a living sacrifice." ( cf. Rom 12:1-2)  And Jesus tells that the greatest intimacy with him comes from sharing his cross.  "Whoever wishes to come after me myst deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Mt  16:25). The paradox is that the intimacy we seek, the LIFE we seek, comes through suffering. A telling line from one of the longest running musicals, The Fantasticks, sums it up succinctly:  "Without a hurt, the heart is hollow."  My we not shy away from the crosses of all sizes that come our way each day but allow our deep desire for intimacy with God embrace them.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment