Thursday, July 27, 2017

What Do I See?

When explaining why he spoke in parables, Jesus concludes, "But blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear, Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it." (Mt 13: 17)  My daily question is "What do I see and hear?"  Do I see the hand of God in the beauty of the flowers I planted and tend?  Do I see Jesus in the people around me, in all people, not just the good and beautiful people who are my friends?  In those people with cardboard signs begging for coins?  In the noisy neighbors whose music at night keeps me from sleep?  In my busyness do I see the gifts I have been given and if so, do I "rightly give thanks and praise"? Yes, we are blessed to have Jesus present in the Word and Eucharist, but let us see him and listen to him in the myriad ways besides that he is present.  The prayer from Father Bob Loughery, CSC is my prayer for today. May it be yours too:

Almighty God, every day you reveal to us your presence and the depth of your love for us. Open our hearts to receive your mercy, our minds to understand your wisdom. Make us worthy vessels of your grace. Help us bring your love to a broken world. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen. 
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment