Monday, April 18, 2016

The Love of the Good Shepherd

Most of us have no idea what shepherding is.  It is not taking care of one little loveable lamb that we can pick up and cuddle in our arms.  It is not simply letting them graze on lush green grass for the day and then opening the gate to the sheep pen for the night.  From the pictures of Jesus the Good Shepherd, we can create a romantic, idyllic image that is far from the truth.  In reality, the shepherd is awake before the sheep, before the break of dawn, moves herds of thousands of stubborn and "dumb: sheep on horseback and with the aid of an intelligent and capable sheepdog, brings them to new pastures and water.   He may have a few partners to help; it's basically a long and lonely day demanding patience and a loving resignation as he realizes that without his guidance and protection these sheep would soon perish.
So too with Jesus, guiding us, stubborn and dumb as we are, always there to make sure we are fed and our thirst satisfied.  He protects us from harm and leads us to green pastures as so beautifully described in Psalm 22 ( 23). 
The Lord is my Shepherd;
there is nothing I shall want.
Fresh and green are the pastures
where he gives me repose
Near restful waters he leads me
To revive my drooping spirit.
He guides me along the right path;
he is true to his name.
If I should walk in the valley of darkness
no evil would I fear.
You are there with your crook and your staff;
with these you give me comfort.

You have prepared a banquet for me
in the sight of my foes.
My head you have anointed with oil;
my cup is over flowing.

Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
all the days of my life.
In the Lord's own house shall I dwell
for ever and ever.

Bro. Rene


No comments:

Post a Comment