Monday, July 8, 2013

We Are All Missionaries

While on this "missionary journey" somewhat in the footsteps of St. Paul, whose name I took for confirmation, traveling by car, not by boat or foot, I was delighted to discover that Sunday's Gospel,was from St. Luke, chapter 10, when Jesus sends out the 72 on their first mission. This was the same Gospel that helped me make my decision to go to Rwanda, after pondering the suggestion that I "think about going there" for nine days. The priest introduced the Mass by saying we are all called to be missionaries, and some are even asked to leave their own countries. Boing. That hit me between the eyes. Then when we sang "Be Not Afraid" after communion, my favorite hymn that I sang over and over on my walk from Assisi to Rome, I knew that God wanted me in Rwanda, so I left the Church with my now "no brainer" decision made. In speaking at the three Masses in St. Joseph Church in Massillon, Ohio, I told the story and challenged them to be missionaries right there in their own parish, their own city. The organist underscored my message by spontaneously having us sing "Be Not Afraid" at the Offertory.
How can we be missionaries in our own parish or city? By living our faith visibly, talking about it in conversation; by affirming the goodness in others by telling them what we see in them, or by encouraging them in their projects, plans a dreams. We can have an especially powerful effect on youth, especially of high school and college age, by commending them for what they are doing, or, if needs be, nudging them back on the right track. Even by e-mail from long distances away, we can console those who have lost loved ones to illness, or an unexpected accident, as I was able to do today after reading some e-mails that had come in while I did not have access to the internet. It's really simple, we just have to do it! Like the 72, we'll be filled with joy and amazement with the results. We are all called to be missionaries.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment