Sunday, April 28, 2013

First Communions

Attending the First Communion Mass at Jesus Savior Parish in Newport, RI,  last evening,  reminded me that the next several weeks will see this event repeated in parishes across the country. as well as of my own First Communion 65 years ago.  It certainly was a solemn and special occasion, especially in those days when the Sisters took pains to make sure that we knew Who we were receiving and how important it was to remain close to the Eucharist for the rest of our lives. The white suits for the boys, the white dresses and veils for the girls, the photos, the little gift of a rosary or a white prayer book made it a day to remember. More importantly, we renewed our Baptismal promises, professing our faith and renouncing Satan, his pomps and works forever.  And we did this in French.  We then received the scapular and held it sacred.
 As I looked at the little children yesterday, I prayed that they understood what a treasure this privilege is, of being so intimately united with Jesus, and that they would be faithful to weekly attendance at Mass and grow in their appreciation of the Eucharist as they mature into adults.  It was also a reminder to me of what a gift we share each week, or daily, if possible. I asked myself if it had it become routine in my life, and pledged to give it the  solemnity and awe as it did on that First Communion morning.  Did those First Communicants have any idea what effect their special day would have on me, and perhaps you who partake of today's slice of bread?
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment