Monday, July 18, 2011

A Parish That Is Pouring Out Living Water

So often the "reward" for an extra effort comes unsought and fills the soul with hope and joy. Such was my experience at the four Masses at St. Mary's Parish in Westfield, MA over the weekend. I spoke about the Marist Missions worldwide, asking more for prayers for our missionairies and the success of their efforts to make Jesus known and loved, than for financial help. The latter came in abundance, but even more astounding was seeing the church relatively full at all the Masses and the young families with children ranging from pre-First Communion, to seniors in high school. The 7:00 AM Mass was served by two boys who will be seniors! They were wide awake, excellent servers, and very open and friendly. What a reversal of the teenage image! People who had just been on a missionary trip to Tanzania, or others who had actually been in Rwanda right after the Genocide...as Doctors Without Borders, of Peace Corps Workers, told me their stories after Mass. I even met the sister of one of the brothers in my group!
It was gratifying to see an American Parish where the people seemed to love to come to Mass, and were involved in all kinds of parish ministries. The pastor and his assistant were ideal parish priests. There is a grammar school (with some sisters!) as well as a high school. The 1885 Church has been renovated and is an architectural gem, most condusive to prayer and worship. And there is a very active Hispanic community, mostly Puerto Rican, whose warmth and joy demonstrated what power lies in our Faith. They prayed over me and our Marist Missions after Mass, and I could almost feel grace pouring through me to our brothers in Bangladesh, Africa, Indonesia, etc. This morning this piece of Scripture seemed totally apropos: I will pour out water upon the thirsty ground,/ and streams upon the dry land;/ I will pour out my spirit upon your offsrping,/ and my blessing upon your descendants./ They shall spring up amid the verdure/ like poplars beside the flowing waters." (Is 44:3-4)
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment