Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gladdening The Heart

A glad heart is the order of the day for most New Englanders this morning as the sun shines brightly over our land and our "golden" Bruins. A victory, a much coveted cup, months of hard play, and extensive, over-the-top effort in the seven game series are the source of joy, pride and celebration. Rightly so.
But there are also more lasting things that gladden the heart: "The precepts of the Lord are right,/they gladden the heart." (Ps 19:8). We hardly think of laws as the something to provoke a joy to match that being displayed by Bruin's fans, but the gladdening here spoken of is a deeper abiding joy that comes as a result of truth and order based on that truth. To know where one stands, what is right and what is wrong, what is being asked, denied, where the the boundaries are, give a security that brings joy to the heart. Witness the chaos that results without truth and order. These laws are indicators of God's affection, God's love for us. I was at first astounded by the strictness of "law enforcement" in the school in Rwanda where I taught, but when it was brought to my attention that to maintain order with 850 borders, the lines had to be clearly drawn. The rules then made sense, and the result was an atmosphere of discipline where learning could take place without major distraction or lack of focus. These tender words from the Book of Sirach put laws and obedience in their proper context: "Come to me, all you that yearn for me/ and be filled with my fruits./ You will remember me as sweeter than honey,/ better than the honeycomb./ He who eats of me will hunger still,/ he who drinks of me will thirst for more;/ He who obeys me will not be put to shame,/ he who serves me will never fail. (Sir 24: 18-21) May our observence of the precepts of the Lord gladden our hearts and free us to serve the Lord joyfully.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment