Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Father's Reflection

Yesterday's post contained an error: there were only six brothers celebrating their 60th anniversary, hence the total number of years is 1,020, not 1,140. I based my calculations on an inaccurate list.
Today Michael Randall shares an inspiring reflection on Fatherhood. May all Fathers be as blessed as Michael. Let us also remember that this day is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity, the Source of all Fatherhood and Love.
Bro. Rene


By Michael Randall, Associate Director for Development and proud dad!

If there are two “callings” in my life of which I am certain, it is the call to be a faithful husband and the call to be a loving father. With my wife by my side, being good parents to our children is central to our relationship. I love being a dad. It is truly one of God’s greatest blessings.

I love my kids unconditionally, but children are challenging. There are times when being a good dad is not easy. For the most part, my strength as an individual (as well as the support of a wonderful wife in Karen) gets me through the every day bumps. Trials like convincing Sam that broccoli is delicious and will make him jump as high as Spiderman or encouraging Cassie that she does not need to apply maple syrup as hair gel. My own constitution gets me through most days… most.

Other times, more challenging times, I realize I cannot do it alone. I find myself asking for the guidance of Saint Joseph, the patron saint of Catholic Fathers. I think about his challenges as a Father to Jesus and how his sincere faith in God and his calling as the “head of household” to the Holy Family got him through even the darkest days.

We all have those dark days. For me, my darkest, most challenging days came as a young father, with a very sick child. Our Matthew Joseph was born with a rare disease that would push his little being to the limits and ultimately deliver him to paradise above. During his short eight months on earth, I reached out to Saint Joseph through daily prayer to get me through. Still to this day (most days), when the memories revisit, bringing with them the pain of loss, I find a bit of comfort in Saint Joseph and his strength as a father.

While we all have different definitions of our darkest days (my next “darkest day” could be taking a splinter out of Sam’s foot), I encourage you to have faith in your abilities as a father. Trust that God and his Saints, particularly Saint Joseph, want us all to succeed as good dads, to raise good Christian children, and to live out our days with a genuine commitment to our families, as Joseph did. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We, as fathers, cannot, and should not, be expected to face the darkest days alone. Ask Saint Joseph for his loving guidance.

On this father’s day we pray:
Saint Joseph, patron saint of Catholic Fathers,
Role model parent and source of strength,
Pray for us,
That we may continue to be good fathers to our children,
Raising them to be good people and faithful servants of your son.
Be with us in our darkest hours when we call out to you,
and in our daily routines as we face life’s little challenges.
Help us to answer the “call of fatherhood” with confidence and reverence
.
Amen.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there! Remember to give your kid an extra squeeze today, they truly are a blessing; so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment