Monday, March 7, 2011

Sitting With Jesus

"To God, the darkest depths of the human heart are as clear as the page of a book lying open in the sunlight. He knows us through and through--and loves us as deeply as he knows us!" (Magnificat, Morning Prayer, March 7). Indeed Psalm 139 assures us that God's knowledge of us includes every step we take, every thought we have:

O Lord, you search me and you know me,
you know my resting and my rising,
you discern my purpose from afar.
You mark when I walk or lie down,
all my ways lie open to you. (Ps 139: 1-2).

The Psalm continues with example after example of God's knowing presence, and is worth praying over day after day. Doing so might help with the question, "Do I know God as well as he knows me?" He sent his Son, Jesus, to give us a clear glimpse of who he is, but the question then becomes, "How well do I know Jesus?" If Jesus were sitting with me, what would I say to him? Would I be intimidated, stiff and formal, recite rote prayers, or would I be free enough to speak from the heart as if my best friend were sitting there? What is it like after communion when I have Jesus as close to me as he can come in this life? Is there a conversation? What is it like? How focused on him am I? What do I say? Do I listen? I can so often get distracted by who is going to communion, or by thinking of what I'm going to do after Mass, that these precious moments frequently evaporate, and life after Mass goes on the same as it was before Mass. I'd guess that we all need to work on this. It might be a good thing on which to reflect during Lent and see what we can do to deepen our friendship, a real friendship, with our brother as well as our savior, Jesus.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment