Thursday, March 17, 2011

Saint Patrick

Apostle of Ireland, patron of the Archdiocese of Boston, one of the most popular saints among American Catholics, St. Patrick has much to teach us, as he taught the people of Ireland in the 4th century. Behind the parades, corned beef dinners, "the wearin' o' the green" and the parties, there is a very humble and courageous man who persisted in fidelity and zeal to his call to return to Ireland, where he had been held captive as a slave for six years in his teens and early twenties until his "miraculous" escape. He was asked by Pope Leo the Great to organize the Church in Ireland (which was already rooted there) and further the work of evangelization among those who had not as yet converted. Despite the opposition of the Druids, the spiritual leaders of the Celts, he preached the Gospel all over the island, was an inspiration to and loved by all, and established several monasteries which became seats of learning and sources of missionaries who brought the faith to northern Europe. When we wish each other "Happy St. Patrick's Day" we are celebrating a man who, like Jesus, laid his life down for his flock, not in physical martyrdom, but in total expenditure of his talents and energy. He died to self in order that others might come to the Faith and have life. He stands as a model for us as we pursue our own personal renewal during Lent. Let us pray with him:
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ within me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ at my right, Christ at my left...
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks to me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every heart that hears me. (From the Breatplate of St. Patrick).
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment