Thursday, June 17, 2010

We Are Not Alone

There is depression that comes from a chemical imbalance; another from the prospect of failure, when we feel the rug has been pulled from under us; or another that comes from fear: of losing a job, of not living up to expectations, or of lacking confidence to accomplish what we promised to do. Then, there is the depression that comes from our sinfulness in realizing how pride, how selfishness, how arrogance block our relationships with people and with God. We may think we "are the only one who is so bad", but we are not alone. Read the description of a person in such a state that was written perhaps 2,500 years ago:
"Have mercy on me, Lord, I have no strength;/Lord, heal me, my body is racked;/ my soul is racked with pain./ I am exhausted with my groaning;/every night I drench my pillow with tears;/ I bedew my bed with weeping./ My eye wastes away with grief;/ I have grown old surrounded by my foes." (Ps 6: 3, 7-8 )
Sound familiar? We are not alone; it is the plight of the human condition. However, we need not be victims forever. "I prayed to the Lord, my God, and confessed, 'Ah, Lord, great and awesome God you who keep your merciful covnenant toward those who love you and observe your commandments! We have sinned, been wicked and done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws. But yours, O Lord our God, are compassion and forgiveness!'" (Dan 9: 4-5, 9).
Such an honest confession becomes balm for the soul and lifts the bonds of confusion, pain and depression. It includes a focus on our merciful God, as well as on the sinful self. Fridays are the traditional days of penitence, a good time for an examination of conscience and firm resolve to seek out the Sacrament of Reconciliation, or at least make a sincere act of contrition. Less expensive than a prescription or therapy, and more effective for the depression that arises from our sinfulness.
Bro. Rene
P.S. I will be at Camp Champagnat in Ossipee, New Hampshire, and will not have access to a computer for Saturday's Daily Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment