Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Relying on the Lord

As we begin this day and before we move too far into the planned and the unexpected, let us pause a moment to look out the window, to look around the room, to close our eyes and breathe slowly for a few minutes. Such a mini-retreat-moment will help us to hear the Word of God as if it were written only for us. The Psalmist puts words into our hearts and on our lips to help voice our response to all that we see and feel in such a moment of peace: "I can rely on the Lord: I can always turn to him for shelter. It was he who gave me my freedom. My God, you are always there to help me!" (Ps 17: 3). And in Psalm 4: "Know that the Lord does wonders for his faithful one; the Lord will hear me when I call upon him. / O Lord, let the light of your countenance shine upon us!/ You put gladness into my heart, more than when grain and wine abound." (Ps 4: 4, 8) Reliance on the Lord, fortifying that reliance with memories of when God actually stepped into our lives through people, through something we heard or read, not only shows us who God is, a God of loving kindness, mercy, compassion, patience and forgiveness, but also helps to transform us and establish ourselves in peace and charity. Taste and see, feel the goodness and kindness of the Lord, and sail with confidence through the rest of this day.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment