Sunday, January 9, 2022

You Are My Son

Image result for Luke 3: 15-16, 21-22 

Luke 3: 15-16, 21-22 

15 The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah. 16 John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

The Baptism and Genealogy of Jesus

21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

With this dramatic moment, the stage is set for the conclusion of the Christmas Season, which occurs after Evening Prayer tonight; Ordinary Time will begin tomorrow. It has been quite and Advent/Christmas Season this year with added elements caused by the increasing cases of Covid-19 and its variants. As it looks now, "Ordinary Time" will be no ordinary time since we do not know what Mother Nature will spring on us next.  What we do know, is that Jesus became aware of his mission quite clearly as he stood in the Jordan and heard his Father's words of affirmation. Further clarification resulted during his 40 desert sojourn, and then off he was to begin his mission, the reason for his becoming Man...our salvation. We might consider our own baptism and the mission we have been given, to be Jesus for our families, communities, and workplaces. Can I hear the Father's voice say of me, "You are my son (daughter), I love you, with you I am well pleased"? And if so, how can I in simple but concrete ways, "with spirit and fire"  continue the work begun by Jesus?

Bro. Rene

.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment