Thursday, November 19, 2020

Our Foolish Refusal

 Luke 19: 41-44

Jesus Weeps Over Jerusalem

41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”

Would that Jesus is not weeping over me as he did over Jerusalem's refusal to accept him.  How painful that must have been...the people chosen centuries before to carry the truth of the oneness of God, who benefited from his saving power over and over and who were privileged to have the Son of God take on their flesh and blood.  I might cringe at their blindness and thick-pigheadedness until I look at myself and find further reason to cringe, for what was true of them is true of me! How blind I can be as I put my own agenda ahead of God's or ignore his invitations (multiple invitations) to put my  will and self-centered ways aside, and be open to the promptings of HIS Spirit!  Like the man who received one mina in yesterday's Gospel, I duck from the opportunity to grow, causing pain to Jesus and destruction to myself.  God, please give me a willing, discerning, generous heart that is not afraid to take risks for you.  Help me to bring joy to you instead of tears.

Bro. Rene

Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment