Thursday, November 5, 2020

Joy Beyond Expression

 Note:  Yesterday's double slice put us back on track, at last...May we stay there!

Luke 15: 1-10

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

The Parable of the Lost Coin

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins[a] and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ 10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

These two brief parables on the theme of repentance demonstrate its importance. Leaving the 99 for the sake of the one lost sheep and the ensuing joy at its being found gives us a clear picture of God's quest for us.  Same with finding the money we knew we had but can't remember where we put it...Sound familiar?

Years ago on the Pine Ridge Reservation, we had a few sheep, and one day discovered that three of them had disappeared. Days later, a neighbor informed us that he had spotted one near his house,  Just back from my daily run, and thus dressed for the chase, I caught up to the wayward animal, who then bolted with fear and youthful energy over the rolling hills with me in pursuit.  Several hours went by until the sheep could run no more and I was able to corner it, pick it up and begin the trek back to our homestead...When one of the Brothers driving by saw us, he stopped to pick us up and bring us safely home.  At that moment I experienced the joy described in the parable. A great feeling of family reunion, even after expending a huge amount of time and energy.  It was an experience I treasure and it continues to inspire me when the  latest "Lost Sheep" needs my attention.  I look upon this as a gift to help me even today in my ministry at home and at Central Catholic. 

Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment