Friday, July 19, 2019

Lord of the Sabbath

Jesus makes a startling statement when the Pharisees confronted him for allowing his disciples to pick grain on the sabbath because they were hungry:  "If you knew what this meant,  I desire mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned these innocent men. For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath." (Mt 12:8). It's the same as if Jesus had said, "Ii am God and my law of mercy takes primacy over your man-made laws, especially when they do more harm than good."  God is a God of mercy, the "Lord of Mercy," who bends over backwards to help us realize that mercy and love are the key elements of treating one another and of respecting and loving God. What good are the laws if they make me rigid and oblivious to the needs of my neighbor who needs compassion, understanding, forgiveness and assurance that he or she is lovable and loved by God?  My actions need to demonstrate this more than a perfect check list of the laws I keep. The Law of Charity:  Love or God and Neighbor, overshadows all the other laws, for rightly lived, it encompasses all of them.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment