Friday, November 1, 2013

We Are All Called To Holiness

Most of us cringe at being called "a saint", perhaps because still lingering in our minds is the image of the saint whose heroic acts of asceticism and self-denial from another time and age make us equate sainthood with the impossible. In so doing, we are giving ourselves a rain-check on the game plan our baptisms laid out for us.  We were baptized into the death of Jesus, to rise with him; we were adopted as children of God and blessed with the charge of imitating our brother Jesus as priest, prophet and king.  These mandates we just can't dismiss.  Living out our baptisms as best we can, becoming the best version of ourselves that is possible is not impossible if we remember that it is God who takes our fragility, our weaknesses, as well as our strength and talents, and molds them into that ideal ME that I was created to be. He provides so much help for this to happen: the Scriptures, the sacraments, the teachings of the Church, guaranteed to be free from error; the example of those, who like us, walk hand in hand with each other with and toward Jesus.  Our agreement to follow this path, our willingness to take step after step, each one enriched by the grace of God, is all that is needed.  If, with Charles de Foucauld we can thus pray, then we will become saints.
Into your hands I commend my soul; 
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
For I love you Lord,
And so need to give myself,
To surrender myself into your hands,
Without reserve, and with boundless confidence
For you are my Father.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment