Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Power of Daily Prayer

From time to time we question the value of our daily prayer, which, sometimes seems dry, rushed,  or just part of a rote routine. This is a normal question, which should lead to a good look at the how and why of our daily prayer regimen. There is a value in keeping to our prayer schedule, no matter what the feeling or progress may be. Fidelity itself is a virtue.  But beyond that, daily prayer "calms the soul, gives joy and peace, softens, even removes anxieties and allows us to relax and experience the love God has for us." (Sacred Space p. 300).  It's the how that makes the difference.
For example.  Take a quiet moment and hear Jesus say to you,"Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  (Mt 11: 28).  He continues, "Yes, come for rest.  But stay for rest too.  Stop all feverish haste and be calm and untroubled.  Come unto me, not only for petitions to be granted but for nearness to me. Be sure of my help, be conscious of my presence, and wait until my rest fills your soul.
Rest knows no fear.  Rest knows no want.  Rest is strong, sure.  The rest of soft glades and peacefully flowing rivers, of strong, immovable hills.  Rest, and all you need to gain this rest is to come to me.  So come." (God Calling. p. 184).  If we prayed like this, how powerful and how nourishing would be our daily prayer.  We'd not want to miss it.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment