Saturday, December 22, 2012

Magnificat Moments

When I began my 30 day retreat with the Ignatian Excersises in September of 1985, my spiritual Director told me that when I could sing the Magnificat as "my own", I could be sure that the graces of the retreat had taken firm footing.  It took perhaps 3 weeks into the retreat before I was able to do it, but for sure, I had reached a "Magnnificat Moment" when my soul was bursting with joy that came from a very close encounter with God's love.  A moment when that love was real and I was assured of God's power and presence and could sing with Mary, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my savior, for he hs looked upon his lowly servant...the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.  He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation.  He has shown the strength of his arm...has lifted up he lowly.  He has filled the hungry with good things..."  (cf. Lk 1: 46-56). I felt that's exactly what was happening in my life at the time.  These moments are rare but occasionally there are repeats and the words of the Magnificat again well up from the soul.  Such was the case yesterday when a graduate, now a senior in college,  came into see me.  As he told me about his own Magnificat Moments, simply, humbly and gently relating his gratitude for his family, his Central education, and the grace to remain true to himself and all he was taught, I was bursting with joy. He epitomized what parents hope for their children.  And this was following our Christmas  Prayer Service which was fraught with fun  while focused on the true meaning of Christmas. What a day!  Advent is drawing to a close and if it "did it's job" has lead us to the Big Magnificat Moment, the birth of Jesus. I pray for all of you that Christmas might be such a moment for you.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment