Friday, January 13, 2012

A Word From Africa

More that just a word, UBUNTU is a concept and a way of life that bears prophetic witness for those of us in the First World. UBUNTU signifies connectedness, intercommunication, sharing, generosity, commonality, a communal way of thinking and acting, all of which are contrary to our "rugged individualism" on which we pride ourselves, but which, in many ways continues to separate and divide us. Perhaps one of the reasons religious life has met with such success in Africa is that it builds on this concept which is so much a part of the culture of the continent. Living in small huts, sleeping on a common mat, eating from the same dish (with hands, not forks), drinking from a common gourd through a common "straw" though not totally sanitary, (to say the least), emphasizes the notion of sharing, relationship and community. It amazed me my first years in Rwanda when I would show my little camera or cassette player to the Brothers or students, how they would hold it for such a long time, that I thought I'd never get it back. I'd be thinking, "Hey, that's mine, I'm just showing it to you, not giving it to you." A narrow way of thinking compared to their inbred concept of "what's yours is mine and what's mine is yours." I learned to be less "possessive" and more open to sharing. This worked with "things" but it also works with the religious and spiritual life. Holding on to "my wants", "my way" can be very divisive. Forgetting the needs of the group because of my individual likes or cravings breeds isolation and a breakdown of the common good or the progress of an institution, or a country. Look what's happening to the USA.... Shifting the spotlight from "me" to "we" is the healthy gift Africa can give to us.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment