Monday, January 16, 2012

Fighting the Good Fight

The celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day brings to mind this phrase from St. Paul's First Letter to Timothy, "Fight the good fight for what we believe." (1Tim 6:12). Based on his belief that God loves all his children, regardless of race, color or creed, he spoke out, he marched, he inspired, fearless of the opposition, which today, many people find hard to believe existed. Even the movement to establish this holiday took until 1983. Yet, honoring his 83rd birthday means that he could still be alive today, had it not been for the assassin's bullet on April 6, 1968. Well-versed in the Bible as he was, he no doubt prayed these verses from Psalm 3:
How many are my foes, O Lord!
How many are rising up against me!
How many are saying about me:
"There is no help for him in God."

But you, Lord are a shield about me,
my glory, who lift up my head.
I cry aloud to the Lord.
He answers from his holy mountain.

I will not fear even thousands of people
who are ranged on every side against me. (Ps 3: 2-8a)

Bigotry and prejudice still exist, so the "fight" is not over. Neither is the inner battle against the shadow-side of ourselves, nor against the forces of the Evil One so tantilizingly and powerfully present outside of us. Dr. King's persistence, faith and conviction remain as models for us in our attempt to live a good Christian life. Let us pray this psalm with him and thank him for the legacy he has left us.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment