Tuesday, December 20, 2011

O Key of David

Today's "O" antiphon connects Jesus with his ancestor David, and, using the image of a key, reminds us of the prophecy of Isaiah, that the Messiah would lead captives to freedom (Is 61: 1). O Key of David, and scepter of the house of Israel: you open and no one shuts; you shut and no one opens. come and lead forth from his prison the captive sitting in darkness and in the shadow of death." We are the prisoners of our own self-centeredness, fears, doubts, hesitations, misplaced self-confidence, and lack of faith and trust. Only the Messiah can truly free us from these shackles. If we allow him to turn the key to our hearts by admitting our NEED for outside help, then he can lead us to freedom.
This came home to me in a brutal way at the Marist Marine Adventure Retreat when following orders to walk blindfolded and in silence through a maze defined by a thin wire, we would find the exit. It seemed easy to slide my hand along the wire and go wherever it took me. Those running the exercise kept asking if I needed our would like help, but in keeping with the rule of silence and determined to "do it my way" I grunted refusals time after time. When it was announced that everyone had found the exit and I was the only one still blindfoldedly searching for it, I was finally put into a conversation where I admitted that I was lost and in my frustration, asked for help. At that moment, my blindfold was removed, and I was told I had found the exit: by admitting that I could not do it alone, but needed help from outside. My whole life flashed before me, for I have always been the first to GIVE help, but the last to ask for it. Wow! So, I can truly pray, Come, Key of David. open the gate for me and lead me out of my captivity.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment