Thursday, November 24, 2011

We are blessed to have this excellent slice of Daily Bread contributed by Chris Sulllivan, an administrator totally devoted to our Marist Spirituality and to the mission of Central Catholic. I join him in wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving.
Bro. Rene

As a part of my Thanksgiving reflection, I, like so many others, spend time thinking about family and friends, the creature comforts I take for granted, and the gifts that have been bestowed upon me by my good God. And such reflections are good, and undoubtedly why our forefathers created a holiday to remind us how important it was to be grateful.
If anyone asks me, I would certainly tell them that I am a Christian. But I ask myself today, do I show them? Am I a reflection of God’s love for me to others? I’d like to think that I am, but an intense self-check reminds me of times when I have fallen short. I am reminded of a clever piece of advice shared with me this summer by Br. Richard Van Houten, FMS….”You can’t become a Christian by sitting in church for an hour each week any more than you can become an SUV by sleeping in your garage every night!”
The more I reflect, the more I realize that in my day to day journey I often forget that I have a Companion. My prayer this year has been to walk each day with the Lord, allowing him to be present, and, in turn, being present to him. I don’t want to be a passive Christian, but an active one.
My prayer:
Lord,
Let me walk this day with you …
Not just next to You, but WITH You.
Let me remember that you are alongside me all day, supporting me in my difficulties, and celebrating my successes.

Lord,
Let me walk this day with You …
Conversing with you nonstop, sharing my day, and reflecting you and your Love to others with whom we meet up and share parts of the journey of this day.

Lord,
Let me walk this day with You …
Then I can remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I cannot handle together.

Lord,
When today is over, and I am resting my head wearily upon my pillow,
May I remember that we walked this day together, and that You loved me, and I loved You right back.
I will say good night to You, and I will rest, and You will stay beside me, that we might walk together again tomorrow. Amen


Happy Thanksgiving to each of you.
Chris Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment