Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Growing in Faith

A renowned spiritual writer of the early 20th century, Fr. Bede Jarrett, O.P., presents a challenging blueprint for the hunger we experience to grow more deeply into our faith. "Faith has to be regarded as the revelation to us of the meaning of life, the understanding of life, the effects of life. I shall never become interested in religion until I have come to see that I must make it personal to myself--chew it, digest it, form our of it the sinews of my spiritual being." Faith is not merely an intellectual assent to a proposition we cannot understand, yet believe. It must be part of the fabric of our living, our actions, our thinking. When we pray, for example, "thy will be done, thy kingdom come, etc." do we connect it to the advice of Jesus that states, "If two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father, for where two or three are gathered together in my sight, there am I in the midstof them." (Mt 18: 19-20)? This level of faith brings us to the barganing table with Abraham who argued with God against the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, or with the Canaanite woman who would not take no for an answer and humbly reminded Jesus about the dogs eating the scraps from their masters' tables. (cf. Mt 15: 21-28). Do we imagine that God enjoys a good discussion, a good back and forth, and delights from time to time to do OUR will?
Lord, I do believe. Help my unbelief.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment