Monday, November 27, 2023

From Her Poverty

 

 Luke 21 1-4 

 The Widow’s Offering

21 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

 The generosity and trust of the poor widow remain a challenge to us each time we read about this incident. Would we, could we be so  trusting as to give our last coins to the Church or to the poor We might hesitate as the haunting question, "What about me?" surfaces? "If I give my last dollar or coins, how will I survive?" A legitimate question for sure, but it evidently it didn't prevent the widow from taking a chance and giving anyway. As Christmas approaches  our mailbox is full of solicitations, Salvation Army bells ring at department and grocery chains; food drives, clothing drives everywhere, every day. Annoying, but also reminders that there are NEEDS out there that we can help if we had half the trust and generosity of the widow.  Can we learn from her?

Bro. Rene

Dear God, help me to learn from this poor widow to dig deeper into my pockets to help those in need. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment