Thursday, March 30, 2023

The Great I AM


John 8: 51-59

The Conflict Mounts

5Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”

52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”

54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”

57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”

58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

The Jews understood the I AM to mean that Jesus equated himself with God, whom they understood to be the ONE AND ONLY God of their Fathers. Such an assumption and declaration was totally unacceptable. As we approach Holy Week, let it be clear that Jesus is God and in sacrificing his life, he secured eternal life for us. Let us not pick up stones to destroy him, but let us pray for a deeper faith to accept him, no matter what challenges we might be facing.

Bro. Rene

 God in heaven, Jesus your Son spoke the truth, a truth rejected by many who heard him. We strive to live in that truth—we want our Lenten observances of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving to keep us faithful. Make us ever more aware of the life-giving promises that Jesus proclaimed, that we may live forever in your sight. Amen.

  Rev. Paul Kollman, C.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment