Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Where Is My Faith?

 

 Mark 6: 1-6

A Prophet Without Honor

Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.

Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. He was amazed at their lack of faith.

If Jesus came to my  hometown, would I accept him or dismiss him?  What if he came but did not appear as I pictured him, or asked me to do things I thought were beyond my ability, "unnecessary"?  We might chide the people of Nazareth for their unbelief, but let us remember that they saw this man growing up, playing with their children and working with his father as a carpenter. Who was he to be "teaching" them?  Yes, we might understand their dilemma, lack of faith and rejection of him, but where do I stand when I hear his "hard teachings", i. e. love my enemies, do good to those who do ill to me?  Believing and acting on beliefs are a challenge. Where is my faith, in the depths of my heart or on the shallow shores?

Bro Rene  


Lord Jesus Christ, give us today a faith to believe in you. You are the one sent by the Father to reconcile the world and to forgive us of our sins. Perfect our doubts, purify our lips, that we may only speak and act for your glory and praise. Amen.

Rev. Mr. Andrew Fritz, C.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment