Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Whoever Loves His Life....

 

John 12:24-26

Unless a Kernel of Wheat dies..

  24Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

This Gospel is fitting on the Feast of St. Lawrence, of gridiron (not football) fame.  "Turn me over, this side is done."  A sentence uttered by the willing martyr who was being roasted to death.  His humor and courage inspire us today, reminding us that a true follower of Jesus like a grain of wheat, must be willing to "die", be transformed, if he or she is to be granted everlasting life. For most of us, it's small, daily "dyings", that can make or break us.  May we be open to whatever God asks of us today, with the cheerful dispostion of St. Lawrence.

Bro. Rene 

No comments:

Post a Comment