Monday, October 14, 2019

Reluctant Prophets

When God calls us to do something out of the ordinary, we naturally balk and look for excuses to escape his invitation. We're not alone in this.  Recently,we've been reading about Jonas and his reluctance to carry out God's wish that he preach repentance to the people of Nineveh. Isaiah and Jeremiah, two of the greatest prophets, expressed their reluctance  to follow the call:  "I am a man of unclean lips," (Is 6:5)  "Ah, ah, ah, I cannot speak for I am but a child" (Jer 1:6). Saul had to be knocked down and confronted byJesus himself before he took up his vocation.  Where would WE be if their reluctance had prevailed?  We can find all kinds of excuses, but Paul said it best when he wrote, "The weak things of the world, God has chosen to confound the strong and the foolish he has chosen to confound the wise: (1 Cor. 1:27). We grow in our faith as gradually we learn  that being "stretched" beyond our limits (I can do all things in him who strengthens me  Phil 4:13) we can  live more compassionate lives, and be able to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, be companion to the prisoner, comfort the brokenhearted.(cf.Mt 25).  When and how can I put aside my reluctance and accept my call?
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment