Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Anna's Patient Waiting

Note:   I was not able to  cut a slice of daily bread yesterday because I had been serving breakfast at Cor Unum (a local soup kitchen) until 8:30.  I dashed over to my computer at Central Catholic, only to find some confusion with my password.  By the time it was straightened out, it was too late to post a slice.  I apologize.  Today, I'm taking no chances.


We complete the story of the Presentation in the Temple with the widow Anna's gratitude and praise, for like Simeon, she too had been awaiting the messiah.  It is estimated that her waiting time was 60 years.  We "waited" for three and a half weeks during Advent this year, and even at that, found ourselves impatient for the celebration of the birth of Jesus.  Now, still in the Octave, with life's routine back in place and tragic news left and right, we might find ourselves again impatient for the Second Coming of Jesus, and the final curtain on this "vale of tears."  Anna's patience is a lesson to us, that in God's good time, our waiting will be rewarded.  May we not wait for the actual "end" but may we, like Anna give thanks and praise always, in anticipation of the outcome our faith assures us will come to pass.  "Patience, people, for the Lord has come."  (Jas. 7:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment