Thursday, March 1, 2012

Who Is God?

The name Michael is translated from the Hebrew as "Who is like God". Stunning, captivating, challenging. During this snowy Lenten Thursday, we might ask ourselves, "Who is God...What is God...to ME? Or, "What is God like?" "How have I experienced God? The swath of answers ranges widely, no doubt, from childhood images of "the old man with the white beard" to a fearful, fiery God of punishment and vengeance, to the "gentle breeze God" whom Elijah discovered on the mountain top.
A lasting impression of God that I experienced 35 years ago as I walked from Assisi to Rome is that God is near, involved even in the minutiae of our lives, giving strength for every step of the way and on occasion handing out surprise lolipops! The God of Lolipops, yes the God who treats us with sweets that surpass our wildest dreams. I walked alone, but not alone, singing frequently along the four day trip, "Yahweh, I know you are near,/ standing always at my side./You guard me from the foe, and you lead me in ways everlasting." (cf Ps 39). That popular hymn by the St. Louis Jesuits blended nicely with another one of theirs, my favorite, "Be not afraid, I go before you always, Come follow me, and I will give you rest." Walking along those unknown roads and encouraged occasionally by a sign and an arrow indicating ROMA, I was ripe to reap the message of these words. They have been my guides ever since, and have deepened my love and trust in this loving, all-knowing and ever-present God, Creator, Father, Grandfather, Great and Mysterious Spirit whose presence removes all fear and truly gives strength for EVERY step of our way through life. This is the God who says, "Love me and do what you will." Lord, help us to come to know and love you, turn our lives completely over to you and become other Michaels.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment