Saturday, December 13, 2014

A St. Lucy Prayer

Lucia was a 4th century native of Syracuse, Sicily who, as a child had made a secret vow of virginity, who, as a child cured her own mother, and who, refusing to marry a nobleman who wanted to marry her, was declaimed as a Christian, tortured, her eyes being torn out, and finally killed with a sword.
Her name is derived from the Latin, LUX, light, and as such is the patron of Scandinavia, whose shortest day is today.  The days begin to get longer and light slowly comes to remove the darkness that accompanied the sun's descent to the southern hemisphere.
Lucy is also the patron of the blind and those who suffer from diseases of the eye:  macular degeneration, glaucoma, etc.  "Blindness" can also be caused by anxiety, suffering, fear, anger, frustration, and greed, leading to untold violence.   We certainly can use the intercession of St. Lucy.
And in the mysterious ways in which God works, this prayer from a close friend, kindred spirit and soul-mate,  David H. Beazel, appeared in my "inbox" just before I put together this slice of bread.  He thought it would be appropriate, and so do I.  I hope you do too.


"I once was blind but now I see. The people have seen a great light! The light of life that came to us.... Jesus! Open the eyes of my heart, Lord! Open the eyes of my heart! I want to see you. I want to see you.

In the beginning was The Word. And The Word was with God, and The Word was God. Jesus is The Word. The Word is love. God is Love! Jesus is God!

The eyes of my heart are truly open, I am no longer blind! I, now can see! I see the Great Light that was written about. The light is love! I see God everywhere because I see love everywhere. God is love. The eyes of my heart are opened!"


Matthew 6:22-23
Thank you Lucy, Thank you David
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment