Saturday, January 4, 2020

What Are You Looking For?

Note:  apologies are due to all of you for the absence of yesterday's slice of bread.  I had so much on my mind, so many little tasks to do within a short period, that I totally FORGOT to cut and post a slice...the first time, I think, this forgetting since I began posting in 2009.  Very sorry and hope it won't happen again. 

"What are you looking for?"   I could easily answer:  "My hearing aids that have been missing for a month." Or "my January Magnificat that I saw in the mail weeks ago when it arrived," or, of all things, "my St. Anthony prayer card."  But the question is more penetrating than that, and is one that should be on our lips daily.  When Jesus asks this question of John's disciples, they answer with another question:  "Where are  you staying?" ( Jn 1:38).  Jesus invites them to come and see and they spend hours with him.  There's the key, spending time with Jesus, listening, with hearts ready to be ignited with love and a desire to serve, ready to change, if necessary,  If we have set a goal, a "New Year's Resolution" to deepen our relationship with Jesus, then that will demand sacrifice, the giving up of other enticing activities or pleasures, to spend time with him.  These hours will yield what we seek and make the "sacrifices" entailed seem meaningless in view of the gains made in coming to know and love Jesus more.  We will become more like the friend we love and the more we are "at home" with him, the more we become a doorway for him to pass through to others, and others to pass through to him.  May we never underestimate the miracles that can happen as we spend more time with Jesus...Andrew, the brother of Simon, told him about Jesus. Simon then met Jesus and became Cephas, Peter, and the rest is history.
Bro. Rene   

No comments:

Post a Comment