Sunday, September 8, 2019

Give It Back To God

Today's Gospel (Lk 14:25-33), is reminiscent of the great prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyola known as the Suscipe, Take. Ignatius found the freedom Jesus talks about when he realized that we were created to "praise, reverence and serve our Lord, and by this means save our souls." (First Principle and Foundation). Created things are  to help us attain this end. We are to regard them with a "holy indifference". To accept joy, sorrow, sickness health as God sends them as a means to grow in love of God. Jesus spoke in hyperbole about hating mother and father in order to be his true disciple, meaning that even parents, kinsfolk, friends, cannot stand in the way of the primary relationship we must have with him. Detaching ourselves from others and things does not mean se shun them, but rather accept them as gifts to help us on our way home to God.  St. Ignatius sums it all up succinctly: Take, Lord, receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess.  You have given all to me.  To you, O Lord, I return it.  All is yours, dispose of it wholly according to your will.  Give me your love and your grace, for this is sufficient for me."  The road map of a lifetime, but none so rewarding for union with God is the final goal.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment