Thursday, April 11, 2019

Why Jesus Was Crucifed

Throughout his public ministry, Jesus seemed to provoke the ire of the Scribes and Pharisees, either by healing people on the Sabbath,  pointing out contradictions between the Law and its practice, or by stating clearly that he was God.  "Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM," (Jn 8:58) This I AM is the name that God used to for himself from the burning bush when Moses asked "Who should I say sent me?"  The Jews knew this, and picked up stones to throw at Jesus, for such blasphemy, claiming to be God, was a crime meriting death.  And so that death came, not by stones but by the cross. As followers of Jesus, we believe that he IS God, and was not simply claiming to be God. May we affirm our belief often during Holy Week in order to appreciate the full impact of Easter, for the resurrection of the God-man, Jesus, means eternal life for us.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment