Saturday, March 11, 2017

Loving Our Enemies

Jesus rocks the boat when he emphatically states: "But I say to you. love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust." (Mt 5:44-45).  We might ask first of all, "Who is my enemy?"  Could it only be someone who is "out to get me", who has wronged me, whom I simply dislike for no rational reason, someone who has hurt my family, my country, or could it also be that shadow within, my perfectionism, my self-doubt, my anxiety, my fear, my mistrust?  Jesus says love those enemies as the Father who knows everyone's inner workings finds them lovable. Love my weaknesses, my shadows...yes, for in weakness God's strength compensates. May my Lenten reflections, prayers, penances and alms giving expand my capacity to love, to love all, even my "enemies."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment