Saturday, July 2, 2016

Surrendering to God

50 years ago on this date, July 2, 1966, at the Jesuit retreat house then known as Innisfada in Manhasset, Long Island, I pronounced my perpetual vows as a Marist Brother on the feast of the Visitation. Needless to say a lot has happened since then: the retreat house is gone and the Visitation has been moved to May 31, to mention a couple. It was a moment of total surrender in the way of Mary and has led to countless graces for me and others on all the continents. It is indeed humbling to reflect on the impact of that surrender.
All followers of Jesus are called to some level of surrender, of "thy will, not mine". It is the one thing we can give to God, and when we do so with deepest sincerity, the Mother of God will be there to help us carry out the consequences of our gift of self, for, indeed, there will be consequences. We will find that God's plan is demanding, surprising, and challenging. We will also find that he gives the strength for every step of the way. I have taken many steps in these fifty years, and have found that God was there with each one. I wouldn't have taken a different path and joyfully begin each day with a simple prayer of surrender. "I'm yours today, Lord, do with me what ever you want."
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment