Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Focus Is On Mary

The  last week of Advent, beginning with Vespers this evening, focuses on Mary.  The story of the Annunciation both this morning and tomorrow call our attention to this important event, without which there would be no Christmas.  The repetition of this Gospel passage is an invitation to us to read it over and over and to ponder it.  Each time we do, we will find something that hasn't struck us before.
A line expressed over and over again in the film, Captain Phillips, by the pirate leader has become a favorite with me lately, and has proved true time and time again:  "In the end, everything will be all right."  Yesterday I could not find my credit card in its usual slot in my wallet, and I thought that I must have lost it somewhere between the gas pump, barber shop, school and home.  Typically, I called, I searched, I retraced my steps.  No panic, although I was being admonished by "everyone" to call Visa and cancel the card.  I remained calm, prayed to St. Anthony, convinced that it would turn up, and continued with the evening plans.  When I finally got home, another search of the wallet uncovered the card with the bills...where I NEVER put it.  I still don't know how it got there, but it all turned out right, without having to cancel the card.
Can you imagine Mary facing the proposal to become the mother of God?  What thoughts went through her head?  Yet she said yes, and indeed, despite the mixture of joy and swords of sorrow, "everything turned out all right" so far, and we are assured that it will "in the end."  Ponder the annunciation and see what God says to YOU!
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment