Friday, October 24, 2014

Living Worthily of the Call

In a familiar passage from his letter to the Ephesians, St. Paul urges us "to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace; one Body and one Spirit as you were called to the one hope of your call; one Lord,one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." (Eph 4:1-6). Paul's enthusiasm carries him passionately from one idea to another, quoting even a hymn, (one Lord, one faith, one baptism), and lumping everything together till he sums up the perfect pattern for a way of life and for a perfect community.  Each phrase deserves reflection and application to our own situation.  How humble,  gentle and patient  am I in dealing with myself, let alone with others?  Is there division between myself and another person?  If so, what will I do to reconcile with that person?  Do I see God as Father?  Do I allow Jesus to keep me close and give me what I need, or do I stand apart and aloof, thinking I can do it all on my own?  There is much food for thought in today's slice of bread. Let us not swallow it too quickly, but digest it slowly.
Bro. Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment